As a Notified Body, we support you successfully with product testing and international certifications in the field of explosion protection.
We offer the following services:
- Testing and certification of electrical and non-electrical equipment (ATEX and / or IECEx)
- HazLoc certifications for USA and Canada according to the NEC (National Electric Code) and CEC (Canadian Electrical Code)
- TR CU Ex (EAC) certifications for Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan
- Risk analyzes and risk assessments
- Trainings on the subject of the explosion protection
- Development-accompanying technical assistance
- Quality monitoring
- Ratification of the documentation in accordance with Article 13 para. 1, b) ii
Kiwa is the contact for the continuation of former Zelm Ex e.K. Certification procedures, but not a legal successor.
IECEx Certification with Kiwa
The IECEx scheme has been developed to facilitate international trade in electrical products used in hazardous and potentially explosive environments.
The IECEx certification is thus the basis for many recognitions worldwide. As a recognized IECEx Test Laboratory (ExTL) and IECEx Certification Body (ExCB), we help you to market your products internationally. By simultaneously testing both the ATEX and IECEx requirements which are combined in our company, you save costs and reduce the approval times.
There are two ways to have your equipment approved according to the IECEx scheme.
- We inspect your equipment and issue an IECEx Approval Report (ExTR) for compliance.
- We evaluate the production environment, production facilities and the quality system with which your product was manufactured according to the Quality Assessment (IECEx-Scheme Operation document OD009) and issue a Quality Approval Certificate (QAR).
If a product has a published ExTR (online ExTR) and a valid QAR (online QAR) of the quality system, the IECEx Certificate of Conformity (CoC) can be issued. This makes it possible to label and market the concerned products accordingly.
- IEC 60079-0 Part 0: Equipment - General requirements
- IEC 60079-1 Part 1: Equipment protection by flameproof enclosures “d”
- IEC 60079-2 Part 2: Equipment protection by pressurized enclosure «p»
- IEC 60079-5 Part 5: Equipment protection by powder filling «q»
- IEC 60079-6 Part 6: Equipment protection by oil immersion «o»
- IEC 60079-7 Part 7: Equipment protection by increased safety "e"
- IEC 60079-11 Part 11: Equipment protection by intrinsic safety “i”
- IEC 60079-15 Part 15: Equipment protection by type of protection "n"
- IEC 60079-18 Part 18: Equipment protection by encapsulation “m”
- IEC 60079-25 Part 25: Intrinsically safe electrical systems
- IEC 60079-26 Part 26: Equipment with equipment protection level (EPL) Ga
- IEC 60079-28 Part 28: Protection of equipment and transmission systems using optical radiation
- IEC 60079-30-1Part 30-1: Electrical resistance trace heating - General and testing requirements
- IEC 60079-31 Part 31: Equipment dust ignition protection by enclosure "t"
- IEC 60079-35-1 Part 35-1: Caplights for use in mines susceptible to firedamp - General requirements - Construction and testing in relation to the risk of explosion
- ISO 80079-36 Part 36: Non-electrical equipment for explosive atmospheres – Basic method and requirements
- ISO 80079-37 Part 37: – Non-electrical equipment for explosive atmospheres - Non electrical type of protection constructional safety "c", control of ignition source "b", liquid immersion "k"
ATEX Certification with Kiwa
Our company has been a European notified body according to Directive 94/9 / EC since 13.11.2014 and is a European notified body in accordance with Directive 2014/34 / EU for equipment and protective systems intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheressince 27.11.2015.
We are therefore authorized to offer and carry out all conformity assessment procedures in accordance with Directive 2014/34/EU:
- EC type examination according to Annex III
- Quality assurance production according to Annex IV
- Testing of the products according to Annex V
- Conformity with the product type according to Annex VI
- Quality assurance of the product according to Annex VII
- Individual testing according to Annex IX
- Ratification of the documentation in accordance with Annex VIII and in accordance with Article 13 paragraph 1,b) ii
Conformity assessment procedures on products
Products are divided into devices, protection systems and components. Conformity assessment procedures for products are often carried out in accordance with Annex III of Directive 2014/34/EU (Module B: EU-type examination).
In special cases, the conformity assessment procedure according to Annex IX of Directive 2014/34/EU (module G: individual test) can also be carried out for devices or protective systems. There is no requirement for a conformity assessment procedure on the quality assurance system, but all equipment or protective systems have to be tested individually, which makes this procedure suitable for large devices and special equipment in small quantities.
Certificates issued in accordance with Directive 94/9/EC Annex III or IX remain valid as long as no changes are made to the product.
Conformity assessment procedures for quality assurance systems
The EU-type examination certificates issued in accordance with Annex III of Directive 2014/34/EU form the basis for the implementation of conformity assessment procedures for quality assurance systems. These are normally carried out in accordance with Annex IV (Module D: Quality Assurance Production Process) or Annex VII (Module E: Product Quality Assurance) of Directive 2014/34/EU.
The validity date specified in certificates according to Directive 94/9/EC remains untouched by the policy revision and remains valid. When all the requirements of the Directive have been verified, the devices are marked with the CE conformity mark with the number of the notified body that has carried out the quality system monitoring. It also requires documented evidence that the basic health and safety conditions set out in Annex II are met.
Our company offers extensive testing capacities all about the explosion protection.
EC Directive 94/9/EC and 2014/34/EU (ATEX) classify explosion-proof devices in categories in Europe. At the international level, the IEC 60079-0 standard introduces the level of protection EPL (Equipment Protection Level).
The standard IEC/EN 60079-0 specifies the general requirements for the design, testing and marking of electrical equipment and explosive components intended for use in potentially explosive environments and is the basic standard for the tests.
The basic standard will be enhanced by application-specific supplementation standards to cover the diverse protection systems used worldwide.
Our company possesses the necessary testing equipment for carrying out tests, which are required according to the standards. In doing so, we can carry out individual tests during development or apply complete standard tests in testing and certification procedures to your designs.
Feel free to contact us for an individual offer and a test plan of your request.
If your company manufactures, processes or stores flammable substances, your system is required to undergo a pre-commissioning check-up and regular monitoring. Kiwa can help, for example, in assessing the individual areas of your company according to the German Industrial Safety Ordinance (BetrSichV) or Hazardous Substances Ordinance (GStVO) (risk assessment of explosion hazards).
We offer you the following services in the field of operational explosion protection:
- Risk assessment
- Explosion protection document
- Training your employees
- Planning of new plants
- First commissioning
- Repeated examinations
- Change and extension