The food categories that may seek protection are: cheeses, fresh meat (including offal), meat based products, oils and fats, bread pastry and cakes, mineral waters, fresh fish and molluscs, olives, fruit vegetables and cereals, and other animal-derived products such as eggs, honey, milk etc, ciders and beers.
Benefits of PDO/PGI under EU Regulations
- Free EU legal protection of what amounts to a trademark. This alone can be worth tens of thousands of pounds.
- Identification of a product's special features. This in turn creates awareness of the U.S.P. for marketing.
- Branding – the quality image for everything else. Built-in third party verification for use as a marketing tool.
- Premium price for a premium product. Move away from producing a simple commodity.
- Create a base for integrated marketing with all the related enterprises of that region, wines, foods, tourist attractions, hotels, restaurants, transport and so on.
- In the long run, decrease reliance on government subsidies.
A survey for the EU shows that over 700 UK Food Products would qualify for this protection - and thus benefit from it. DEFRA's Agrifood Exports and Regional Food Promotion division deals with applications and will give advice on the requirements.
For a quick, competitive quotation please email or call us. If you would like to apply for the scheme, please complete the PDO or PGI Application Form.