We are a UKAS accredited testing laboratory (No.0529) for this scope of accreditations.
Kiwa CMT investigates ground contamination on behalf of land-owners, developers, local authorities and other regulatory bodies.
Geotechnical and Environmental aspects of site investigation that includes documented history (Phase 1) along with intrusive techniques for the retrieval of geotechnical ground information that also utilises Coal Mining Risk Assessments and Intrusive Investigations for the installation and monitoring of ground gas for the development and refinement of Conceptual Site (and Exposure) Models.
Independent Remediation Options Appraisal, Verification and Validation of mitigating measures are also carried out by Kiwa CMT Testing’s highly qualified and experienced team of Site Investigators.
Why are we concerned with land contamination?
- Land contamination can harm:
- human health
- drinking water supplies, groundwater and surface water
- ecosystems including wildlife, animals and wetlands
- it can also affect the current and future land use
Why should we and how can we deal with it?
Dealing with land contamination helps make the environment clean and safe. Through regeneration it can:
- enhance the health and wellbeing of all
- add to the economic, ecological and amenity value of the area
The LCRM process will:
- identify and assess if there is an unacceptable risk
- assess what remediation options are suitable to manage the risk
- plan and carry out remediation
- verify that remediation has worked
The LCRM process is there to assist the landowner with protecting their investment and enhancing the environment for us all in a symbiotic mechanism. A number of stages and decision-making points are present within the LCRM process and these include:
- Phase 1 Desk Study (Stage 1)
- Phase 2 Intrusive Site Investigation and Initial Remediation Options Appraisal (Stage 1 and 2)
- Remediation Method Statement (Stages 2 and 3)
- Verification of Remediation (Stage 3)
Who can carry out assessments to the LCRM requirements?
For land contamination investigations you must use and meet the National Planning Policy Framework definition of a competent person.
Kiwa CMT investigations are carried out by an experienced team and chartered people with over 20 years’ experience in dealing with contaminated land investigations.
- Phase 1 Desk Study
- Phase 2 Intrusive Investigation
- Remediation Method Statements
- Verification of Remediation
- Gas Monitoring and Assessment Services
- Gas Membrane Validation
- Window Sampling Boreholes
- Cable Percussive Boreholes
- Rotary Boreholes
- Trial Pitting
- Coal Authority Assessments and Investigation
- Waste Soil and Waste Material (WM3 and WAC)
- Coal Tar Macadam Waste
- End of Waste
- BS3882 Topsoil
- Water UK/HBF/UKWIR Testing and Assessment