Relevant to any organization of any size or sector, that wants to improve road traffic safety.
Whether you transport goods or generate road traffic at construction sites, if you want to demonstrate your organization’s commitment to reduce road deaths and serious injuries, ISO 39001 certification can help.
ISO 39001:2012 specifies the requirements for a road traffic safety (RTS) management system, enabling any organization that interacts with the road traffic system to help reduce death and serious injuries related to road traffic crashes. By establishing a safety culture in your organization based on a certified management system, you can reduce your risks and improve your performance.
ISO 39001 focuses on the context of the organization and encourages risk-based thinking. By engaging with the organization’s leadership and integrating RTS into the business strategy, you can create a safety culture in your organization. This helps enhance your reputation and builds trust with stakeholders, ultimately boosting your business.
What you need to know
ISO 39001 is suitable for any organization, so if you have an impact on traffic, it applies to you – whether you’re in construction, tourism, education or any other sector. It sets out the requirements and guidance for a road traffic safety (RTS) management system, including:
- The development and implementation of an appropriate RTS policy
- The development of RTS objectives and action plans
- RTS-related criteria that the organization can control or influence
ISO 39001 follows a structure that makes it easy to use alongside other management system standards, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
Getting certified with Kiwa
According to the World Health Organization, there were 1.25 million road traffic deaths globally in 2013. If your organization is connected to the road traffic system, whether by increasing traffic to a shopping center or hospital, transporting goods or carrying people, you could be having an impact on road deaths and injuries.
ISO 39001 certification can show your stakeholders that you are committed to reducing this impact and improving road traffic safety. By partnering with Kiwa, you can improve your road traffic safety systems, reducing your impact on accidents and enhancing your reputation.
A wide range of organizations can benefit from ISO 39001, including those that transport people and goods (such as taxi services, road haulage bus transport and sales organizations), generate demand for traffic (schools, supermarkets, cinemas, public offices) or design and operate roads (construction, maintenance and road authorities). Unsure of whether you could benefit? Contact Kiwa for more information.
- Reduce the risk of accidents – by managing your road traffic safety management with ISO 39001, you can reduce your impact on accidents and injuries.
- Demonstrate your commitment to being socially responsible – with ISO 39001, you can engage with stakeholders to cut accidents and reduce suffering.
- Reduce costs – with a certified ISO 39001 system in place, you can reduce the costs of repairs, insurance and investigations.
- Reduce employee absence – by reducing the risk of accidents, ISO 39001 helps you cut incidents involving employees.
- Improve customer confidence – ISO 39001 certification shows customers you take their safety seriously.
- Reduce risk of prosecution – by reducing the risk of accidents, ISO 39001 helps you mitigate the associated legal risks.
- Improve your safety culture – ISO 39001 involves your stakeholders and is easy to communicate, helping you establish a Safe-System approach.
- Improve your processes – with ISO 39001, you can reduce the risk of business disruption and minimize the risk of losing clients.