Construction Materials Testing (CMT) is carried out when assessing ground conditions, as well as assessing the materials used during construction.
Investigations provide rock and soil samples for technical assessment and classification of material properties. This assists in detecting and eliminating any potential risks and hazards found in the ground conditions.
In preparation for construction, materials proposed for use from ‘borrow or cut’ areas are assessed and classified to enable appropriate use. During the construction phase, all materials need to be tested in an ongoing quality control process to ensure design criteria conformance.
Our CMT services are utilised for the preliminary and construction phases of large-scale civil projects such transport, water and mine infrastructure.
We have a widespread range of laboratories certified by National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA), as well as:
- Local team with local knowledge – originating in Brisbane in 1990, we have since expanded to 50+ permanent locations across Australia and New Zealand.
- In excess of 30 mobile laboratories – our laboratories and teams can scale up or down to suit any project, no matter where the project is located.
- Largest fleet of CMT equipment in Australia, ensuring prompt turnaround of testing results
- Add on services that are available for end to end project support, for all stages of the project delivery, including Geotechnical and Environmental monitoring.
- World class, custom built laboratory information management software (LIMS) with integrated Quality management, to ensure quality reporting and results.
Soils – particle size distribution, Atterberg limits, shrinkage, triaxial strength, shear strength, CBR, UCS, stabilisation tests, chemical properties, and permeability.
Concrete, Grout and Mortar – consistency, air content, tensile strength, chloride & sulphate content, compressive strength, flexural strength, shrinkage, and mortar bar. Trial mixes and Mix design.
Compaction Control – Compaction Assessment, including LWFD, nuclear densometer, sand replacement, maximum density and optimum moisture content field density. GITA services, asphalts, level 1 supervision, pavements & earthworks, foamed bitumen.
Aggregates and Rock – triaxials, shear strength, UCS, particle density & water absorption, particle shape, soundness, contaminants, particle size distribution, aggregate strength, recycled aggregates, adhesion of aggregates & binders
Road Pavement & Surfaces – deflection assessment, texture depths and visual surveys.