It relates to the organization of electrical/electronic systems, semiconductors, hardware, and software in the automotive sector.
What is Functional Safety?
A new paradigm of development, testing, and evaluation technology to ensure the safety and life of the people by recognizing or preventing risks leading to accidents due to malfunctions of electrical/electronic systems, semiconductors, hardware, and software
The Need for Functional Safety
As electric/electronic systems in automobiles are rapidly increasing, accidents due to system abnormalities of unknown causes are frequently reported at home and abroad.
Although it is not possible to clearly reveal whether the defect of vehicle itself or the driver's negligence, in any case, if an abnormality in the system or abnormal driving or operation of the driver is detected, measures to reach a safe state immediately are taken at the system level in advance.
As the required functions are advanced, the complexity increases and as the use of electric/electronic components such as semiconductors, smart sensors, software and mechatronics increases in vehicles, robots, drones, and automated machinery, there is an increasing risk of loss of life and property due to malfunction of electrical/electronic systems due to systematic failure and random hardware failure.
Functional safety standards include guidelines for avoiding or mitigating these risks by providing product requirements and processes related to safety, so that safety can be guaranteed.
- Entry into the global automotive market and secure stability through the effectiveness and certification of ISO 26262 automotive functional safety certification
- Technology improvement through ISO 26262 / ISO/SAE 21434
- Improving problem-solving skills of development and design personnel
- Proving that the product is safe for customers
- Opportunities to increase added value as proven safe products
- Differentiated strategy from other companies by applying ISO 26262 / ISO/SAE 21434
- Since there are few leaders other than major companies such as Bosch, TRW, and Continental, market initiative and corporate competitiveness are secured
- Prepare for the PL (Product Liability) Act by applying ISO 26262 to litigation due to automobile safety accidents
- Create profit as A/S and Recall are reduced by increasing the safety and reliability of the product
- Prepare cyber-security technology for autonomous vehicles in advance when functional safety is introduced
- It is possible to secure market diversification by applying ISO 26262 functional safety technology not only to automobiles but also to defense, nuclear power, railways, drones, robots, medical devices, home appliances, and all industries that incorporate IoT.
- Reinforcement of practical competency and introduction of security solutions for vehicle type approval through automotive cybersecurity certification