Manufacturers of roofing products and systems can choose various quality declarations, depending on the presence of a harmonized European standard, an EAD (European Assessment Document) or a mutually agreed directive or guideline.
The wide possibilities include CE marking and KOMO certification, ETA (European Technical Assessment), a BDA Agrément or other quality statements, depending on e.g. the national regulations.
For the application of the roofing systems on the buildings, Kiwa offers the service for consultancy regarding the choice of a suitable roofing system and/or the investigation of some unexpected damage.
The consultancy department also offers its knowledge and experience for assisting manufacturers with the innovation of roofing products and systems, like:
PV (photo voltaic) systems;
green roofs, from relatively small gardens to large public parks;
water retention roofs.
Testing of the roofing products and systems is not only required for certification and consultancy but also for production control and research and development.
Tests that can be performed are:
- hanically fastened and on adhered systems; (Kiwa | Wind-uplift test | Service)
- resistance to wind-driven rain on PV (photo voltaic) systems (Weather-tightness – solar energy systems (kiwa.com))
- thermal shock tests
- fire resistance tests and fire reaction tests;
- root penetration tests;
- determination of the strength of the products:
- tensile force;
- tear resistance;
- peel resistance;
- shear resistance;
- resistance to static loading;
- impact resistance;
- determination of water vapour transmission properties and water tightness;
- dimensional stability tests;
- immersion tests;
- artificial ageing with temperature, moisture and/or UV radiation.
The experience that is gained with testing and with the search for test methods for the investigation of damaged roofs or new products and systems is also used for the development of new test methods and new types of test equipment.
These test machines are also produced for and sold to other testing institutes, but also the manufacturers of the roofing products.
The BDA Test Equipment that is produced by Kiwa BDA Testing comprises among others:
- BDA Bending Tester (according to EN 1109)
- BDA Folding Device (according to EN 495-5)
- BDA Brushing Tester (according to EN 12039)
- BDA Ponding Tester (according to EN 1297)
- BDA Fatigue Tester (according to EOTA TR008)
- BDA Watertightness Tester (according to EN 1928)
- BDA Dimensional Stability Kit (according to EN 1107-1)
- BDA Impact Tester (according to EN 12691)
- BDA Static Puncture Tester (according to EN 12730)
- BDA Restrained Shrinkage Tester (according to EN 1108)
- BDA Fire Resistance Tester (according to CEN/TS 1187)
- BDA Marathon Man Tester (according to the Dutch KOMO directive BRL 1309)
If required all BDA Testers can be modified to be able to work according to other test standards as well. On-demand it is also possible to develop new test equipment in cooperation with the principal.