What you need to know
Kiwa has many years of experience in gas testing and certification. We have gas laboratories in The Netherlands, UK and Turkey. Kiwa has been approved by the national authorities as a Notified Body for the Gas Appliance Regulation).
Our test engineers are highly experienced, totally impartial, solution oriented and renowned for their expertise.
We can support compliance with any of these regulations/directives:
- The Gas Appliance Regulation (GAR) - applies to almost all gas-fired appliances except for some industrial applications). This is one of the most common regulations we test and certify against. As a manufacturer or importer you have to show and declare compliance with the GAR by means of an EC type examination certificate and a demonstrably valid product surveillance contract, both as part of the technical construction file.
- The Boiler Efficiency Directive (BED) - applies to all domestic boilers;
- The Low Voltage Directive (LVD) - applies to all gas-fired appliances carrying electrical components or controls;
- The Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive (EMC) - again, applies to all gas fired appliances containing electronics;
- The ErP (Energy Related Products) and related Ecodesign and Ecolabelling Directive. In addition to the efficiency data confirmed under the BED/GAR, the ERP will also require proof of tapping cycles.
Gas appliance testing services
We provide gas appliance testing for manufacturers of:
- Fires & stoves
- Heaters (radiant, overhead, patio, tabletop)
- Cookers and BBQs
- Camping equipment
- Water Heaters
- Catering equipment
- Fuel cells
- Sterling engines
- mCHP Fuel Cell Systems
- Specialist Items
- LPG appliances
- Hydrogen appliances
Getting certified with Kiwa
Our engineers can test gas appliance components in isolation, or as part of the appliance - pipes & fittings, valves, burners, manifolds, fans, flue terminals and switches.
Where no standard exists, we can carry out a risk assessment or create a meaningful performance assessment method for your gas appliance.
We are also able to help you with approvals for North America. However, we always stress that this can be a complicated and costly set of approvals.
Gas appliances are designed to operate with gas of a specific composition. The composition varies between countries. This 'Wobbe card' shows the composition range for European countries. And here is our popular Gas Comparison card which contains useful information about hydrogen, methane, town gas and LPG.
As well as gas appliance testing, we provide audit and product surveillance services, including assistance with establishing quality management procedures. Kiwa also operates in the fields of Hydrogen, Biomass and other energy technologies.
What to do next
Please select ‘Request Quotation’. This will prompt you to complete a short form. Please include a description of the product you wish to have tested, and which regulation(s) you would like it tested to. We will then contact you and provide a quotation which specifies the test program, sampling, inspection of the production process and the certification schedule. We can accept product test results from other accredited test laboratories.
Assessment directives (BRLs) for Dutch manufacturers can be found here.