Relevant to organizations that design, develop, or provide aviation, space, and defense products and services, and organizations providing post-delivery activities, including the provision of maintenance, spare parts or materials for their own products and services.
If you are in the business of providing products or services like parts and maintenance to the aviation, space and defense industry, the AS/EN 9100 family of standards can help you. With the standard, you can manage quality and show customers and partners your commitment to continuous improvement.
AS/EN 9100 standardizes the requirements for a quality management system in the aerospace industry. It is also applicable to other sectors that need a quality management system with additional requirements over an ISO 9001 system.
When you’re flying at high speeds in large vehicles, there is no room for mistakes: quality and safety are vital in the aerospace industry. Some of the biggest companies in the industry require their suppliers to have AS/EN 9100 certification, making it a requirement for doing business in the sector.
What you need to know
AS/EN 9100 is suitable for a range of organizations operating in the aerospace industry and beyond. It includes ISO 9001:2015 quality management system requirements, and it specifies additional requirements for the aviation, space and defense industry, helping you show your customers you have specialized processes in place to ensure quality.
The family of standards was developed by the International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG), which has representatives from aviation, space and defense companies around the world. Different standards apply to companies with specific remits:
- 9110 – for businesses providing maintenance or airworthiness management services for civil or military aviation articles and products; and original equipment manufacturers with maintenance, repair, and overhaul operations.
- 9120 – for organizations that buy and resell parts, materials, and assemblies and to customers in the aviation, space and defense industry.
AS/EN 9100 focuses on quality, safety and technology throughout the aerospace industry and along the supply chain. It incorporates ISO 9001, and has been updated to align with the latest release.
Getting certified with Kiwa
AS/EN 9100 can be used at all levels of the supply chain by organizations around the world, leading to improved quality, lower costs and better performance.
By partnering with Kiwa, you can get the most out of working with AS/EN 9100, improving your quality management systems in line with industry standards to meet your customers’ demands and boost your business.
AS/EN 9100 certification must be renewed every three years, with an additional factory production control inspection every year, where relevant. Kiwa can help; contact us for more information.
- Boost your profits – by helping you improve processes and meet customers’ needs, AS/EN 9100 can help you engage new customers and boost your business.
- Improve processes – with regular assessment, AS/EN 9100 can help you identify areas for improvement in your management processes.
- Increase efficiency – by highlighting where your processes can be improved, AS/EN 9100 helps identify ways to cut costs and improve efficiency.
- Trade in aerospace – AS/EN 9100 certification allows you to trade in the aerospace industry, where a quality management system is a requirement.
- Demonstrate your commitment to quality – AS/EN 9100 certification shows customers, partners and employees that you are committed to continuous improvement.
- Improve competitiveness – AS/EN 9100 certification helps you enter new markets and forge new partnerships.
- Mitigate risks – AS/EN 9100 helps you identify and manage key business risks in a structured way.
- Manage your supply chain – AS/EN 9100 helps you trace goods throughout the supply chain, helping you communicate quality with your stakeholders.