The BRCGS (BRC) Agents and Brokers standard may be used by companies operating the following services:
Brokers - companies that purchase or 'take title to; products for resale to manufacturers, other brokers, retailers or food service companies but not directly to the consumer.
Agents or non-manufacturing service providers – companies that trade between a manufacturer or broker and their customer but do not at any point own or take title to the goods. Such companies provide a range of services to facilitate the safe and legal trade of products.
Importers/exporters – companies that facilitate the movement of products across national boundaries, satisfying legal and customs requirements. Importers and exporters may also be agents and/or brokers. Imports. Importers and exporters may also be agents and/or brokers.
The standard has a scope which covers certification for the following categories of products:
- food products, including raw materials, processed foods, and fruit and vegetables
- food packaging materials – primary, secondary and tertiary materials, and raw materials for the manufacture of packaging materials
- pet foods for domestic animals
The standard shall not apply to:
- consumer products
Agents and brokers provide a critical link in the movement and trade of products, and influence supplier product safety and quality standards, as well as being responsible for maintaining an effective chain of traceability.
This Global Standard is designed to promote best practice on product safety, quality and the operational criteria required to fulfill obligations with regard to legal compliance and consumer protection.
The Agents and Brokers standard includes:
- Senior management commitment
- Hazard and risk analysis system
- Quality Management Systems – based on the principles of ISO 9000 and including product traceability and management of recalls
- Supplier and subcontracted service management
- Personnel – including the training and competency