What you need to know:
Every company that produces, processes or markets organic products must be certified according to the requirements of the current EU Organic Regulation. These products can be agricultural products such as seeds and seedlings, food or feed grains, vegetables, fruit, or animal products such as eggs or milk. All processed organic products, such as bread and bakery products, dairy products or meat products, etc., also fall under the scope of the EU Organic Regulation, as do organic feed stuffs.
A full organic inspection is required by law at least once a calendar year. We provide professional support for you and your company in all areas of organic certification in Germany. In addition, Kiwa BCS is accredited in various countries outside the EU to certify companies according to EU organic standards.
You can find out in which countries we are accredited HERE.
An EU organic certification with Kiwa BCS Öko-Garantie GmbH in Germany:
Kiwa BCS Öko-Garantie GmbH is one of the pioneers of the organic movement in Europe (our inspection body number is DE-ÖKO-001) and carries out inspections and certifications in all areas of organic production (except aquaculture).
First, you obtain a non-binding offer from us. After positive feedback and conclusion of the contract, we carry out the initial inspection at your business. For each organic inspection, a final inspection report is drawn up containing all inspection points and their results. In order to guarantee high quality and independence in the certification process, we always work according to the four-eyes principle. This means that the inspection and the certification cannot be carried out by the same personnel. After the inspection, a second expert in our office makes the certification decision on the basis of the inspection report. If your company fulfills all legal requirements, our certifiers will issue your organic certificate.
Since 01.01.2022, the new organic regulation VO (EU) 2018/848 has been in force within the EU. The EU organic regulation has been updated to reflect the changes in the rapidly growing global organic market. The new regulation now includes products such as cork, cotton, hides and beeswax, and continues to cover all agricultural products and processed products that can be used as food or feed. The regulations also apply to organic products produced outside the EU and imported from there.
- Climate protection: Organic farming helps protect our climate. With an EU organic certification, you actively contribute to a sustainable future.
- Consumer needs – With EU organic certification, you contribute to the supply of organic products and thus meet consumer demand.
- Competitiveness – With EU organic certification, your products stay in the trend towards more organic goods and your business remains competitive.
- Kiwa BCS is your competent and personal partner for your certification project and for all questions during the process
Where can be found the latest version of the current EU legal framework?
- The whole set of EU regulations related to organic production are available here.
- Until 31st December 2024, the applicable legal framework for the operators certified by Kiwa BCS outside the European Union is the Kiwa BCS Organic Production Standard. The list of countries are listed in here.
- For countries outside Europe, the new legal framework mandatory from 1st January 2025 will be the Reg. (EU) 848/2018 and its delegated and implementing acts. They are available here. Additionally, in the section Set of EU regulations are the most relevant rules in other languages.