About Type Approval certification
According to the law in Finland, a manufacturer is obliged to demonstrate that the construction product meets the set requirements. Type Approval is the simplest way to demonstrate conformity.
Type approval versus site-specific demonstration
An alternative method would be the so-called site-specific demonstration, in which case documents must be presented to the building inspection authority to enable the construction supervisor to decide whether the product complies with the requirements. The alternative method is, therefore, more laborious, and requires to be done site-specifically.
The building inspection authority is satisfied when a valid type-approval decision is presented for the product. No further clarifications are required to demonstrate conformity of the product with the regulations.
Type Approval application
The manufacturer of the product (the company that manufactures the product from raw materials and/or components) may apply for Type Approval. The applicant’s position in the company is typically a person belonging to a quality, quality control or sales organization or a representative of the company’s management, e.g. the CEO. If a language barrier slows down the processing of the application, the manufacturing company may request assistance from a cooperation partner with good command of Finnish.
Validity of Type Approval certificate
Type Approval attesting the conformity of a product is valid for 5 years, during which time Kiwa Inspecta acts as the quality assurer at the manufacturer’s request.
The manufacturer of the product must guarantee that Kiwa Inspecta is informed of any changes in the production process if this affects the quality of the product. If changes are coming to the requirements of the product group in question, we will inform the manufacturer accordingly.
We will also inform the manufacturer when the expiry date of the Type Approval decision is approaching, and it is necessary to apply for a renewal.
Laws and standards related to type approval
- Act on the Type Approval of Certain Construction Products 954/2012.
- Decree of the Ministry of the Environment on the Essential Technical Requirements of Plumbing Fixtures Intended for Water Supply Systems of Buildings 497/2019.
- Decree of the Ministry of the Environment on the Type Approval of Plumbing Fixtures Intended for Water Supply Systems of Buildings 7/19.
Benefits Type Approval
- Easiest way to demonstrate conformity with the regulatory requirements.
- Working with Type Approval marked products will substantially speed up the work of building inspection authorities.
- Type Approval boosts product sales.
- Type Approval helps to win tenders, as the developer knows whether or not the product complies with the regulatory requirements, before making the purchasing decision.
Comprehensive product services for manufacturers
Kiwa Inspecta has a wide range of experts and functions at its disposal, which enables purchasing the whole process on a one-stop basis. You can purchase from us all services related to the application and processing schemes, testing, initial inspection and monitoring visits of the type-approval decision. We also offer other construction-product certification services, such as the Nordic Poly Mark, FI drinking water approval and CE marking, and all related monitoring visits can be combined and, thus, resources can be saved for other important items.