Who is Ü-mark testing, certification and inspection for?
The Ü-mark is intended for all manufacturers or parties who wish to bring and use their construction products to the German market. Construction products may only be used if they have proven to be suitable to use for an appropriate duration in accordance with their purpose, provided that they are properly maintained.
Installation of construction products in buildings must be located, constructed, altered and maintained in such a way that public safety and order, in particular life, health and the natural foundations of life are not endangered.
The German Ü-mark is obligatory for construction products in Germany that are not covered by CE-marking. The label identifies construction products or construction techniques that have proven compliance with national requirements.
A national technical approval is required in case:
- Technical Building Rules, or generally recognized technical rules for the construction product are absent.
- The construction product deviates significantly from the Technical Building Rules.
- The Building Codes of the federal states in Germany stipulate that the manufacturer must declare that his construction product complies with the Technical Building Rules, the national technical approval, the national test certificate, or the project-related approval. This confirmation of conformity is provided by marking the construction product with the national conformity mark (Ü-Zeichen).
Declarations of conformity
Kiwa paves the way to guide to the declaration of conformity that is applicable to the product:
- ÜH: Declaration of conformity by the manufacturer (without involvement of a testing, inspection or certification body).
- ÜHP: Declaration of conformity by the manufacturer after prior testing of the construction product by a recognised testing laboratory.
- ÜZ certification: Certificate of conformity by a recognised certification body with external monitoring of the factory production control by a recognised inspection body.
- AbP test certification: National test certifcate for a construction product.
Ü-mark for abP Acoustic Testing
Noise generated by water installation devices (e.g. fittings) can cause nuisance in adjacent rooms. Kiwa's acoustic testing help to classify products according to the international standard ISO 3822 series or DIN 4109.
Benefits of our Ü-mark services
- Increase market share – Demonstrate compliance with German standards and benefit obtaining access to an extensive national network that supports approvals and access to German markets.
- Communicate safety and health protection - The Ü-mark indicates the product is tested and approved of high quality, ensuring levels of safety and health.
- Increase visibility and credibility - The achievement of the certification according to the Ü-mark makes it possible to communicate the mark on products and promotion materials which increases visibility and credibility in the sector.