> DESIGN PHASE
Raba Kistner has one of the largest archives of geotechnical data in the Southwest. We tackle site conditions ranging from coastal sands to expansive clay soils to rock formations, and our geotechnical footprint has marked retail centers, sports arenas, convention centers, education and healthcare campuses, military installations, international airports, energy transmission systems, and much more. For each, we utilize our accredited and/or certified laboratories, innovative techniques and equipment, vast experience, and ingenuity to create effective solutions.
Our expertise includes field exploration services, laboratory testing, and engineering evaluation and reporting. We have worked on large, significant projects, and have tailored cost-effective services for each.
Specialty Geotechnical Testing Services
Our specialty geotechnical testing services include:
- Pressuremeter Studies
- Soil and Rock Instrumentation
- Conductivity Testing
- Resistivity Testing
- Refraction Microtremor (ReMi®)
- Ground Penetrating Radar
- Various Specialty Services
Simply put, many times there are better ways to look “underground” than traditional drilling and sampling methods. Hitting “surprises” during construction often stops projects and costs money. Therefore, minimizing the risk of encountering unforeseen conditions is a great benefit on any project. Raba Kistner has the internal capability to do so utilizing geophysical testing techniques. This methodology allows for a more contiguous look at subsurface conditions than utilizing widely spaced borings, which is critical for identifying subsurface anomalies, including but not limited to solution cavities, voids, highly variable subsurface conditions, groundwater, underground seepage paths, geologic contacts and/or faults.
Geophysical evaluations rely upon the application of physical principles to study the Earth’s interior. Geophysical technologies are utilized to solve a wide range of geologic or geotechnical problems that come up with regard to environmental site assessment (ESA) or site development projects.
Some examples of geophysical project work conducted by Raba Kistner include:
- Subsurface detection of geologic strata (e.g., detection and delineation of changing soil or rock conditions, delineation of potentially expansive clay soils)
- “Leaking Dam” investigations
- Aquifer characterization (e.g., well siting studies, depth to groundwater determinations)
- Fault/fracture delineation studies
- Karst feature identification/delineation and mapping studies
- Identification/delineation of subsurface manmade features (pipelines, buried cables, mining tunnels, etc.)
- Resource assessment for aggregate quarry sites (e.g., rock and unconsolidated sediments)
- Identification of preferential pathways for contaminant migration in the subsurface (e.g., buried gravel channels, fault zones, fill placement zones, etc.)
- Identification and delineation of buried wastes (e.g., closed municipal solid waste landfills, dump sites, etc.)